Sunday, June 25, 2006

 

Anyone reading comic novels?

I usually read non-fiction because I like funny stuff, and most non-fiction tends to be painfully serious. However, I recently started reading Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ's Childhood Pal by Christopher Moore. The story is a rather tongue-in-cheek description of Jesus and Biff's adolescent years (and maybe young adulthood; I haven't gotten that far yet). It also covers Biff's ordeal of being resurrected in our time and being forced to write the story under the supposedly watchful eye of a none-too-bright angel who has become addicted to soap operas.

Moore has written nine comic novels, the newest of which (A Dirty Job) just came out). Thomas Berger, the guy who wrote Little Big Man, has written some dark (I mean really dark) comedy -- the Aykroyd-Belushi movie Neighbors was based on his novel of the same name. Dave Barry has also started writing novels. Any recommendations for other novels that will make me laugh, or inspire me to write my own comic novel?

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?