Tuesday, June 27, 2006

 

Great New Book

When I open the store, I usually get off about 5 pm. During the week, that means rush hour, so I hang around for a while looking at the books while the crazies are on the road. Today, while hanging around, one of the new arrivals caught my eye. It's called Dog Heroes of September 11th, by Nona Kilgore Bauer. As you might expect, it profiles many of dogs (and their handlers) that took part in the search and rescue operations at the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and in Pennsylvania. What I didn't expect to see was the great photography. Even aside from the important and dangerous duties they performed, these are beautiful dogs, from a wide variety of breeds. Next time you're in a bookstore, check it out.

Comments:
Hey, Mark,
Next to blogging and surfing, books are one of my loves, too. Animals are another love. I'm kind of inferring that you work at a book store of some sort.....Am I right? If so, what's the name of it?

I live about 7 miles from Jonesboro, Arkansas, the closest bigger city, population around 60,000. There's a Books-A-Million, Waldenbooks, Hastings, and a brand new Barnes and Noble just opened up this spring in the new mall. I like to go to B and N and get a cup of Starbucks coffee and a couple of books and spend hours at a time reading. That's a good time to me, LOL. :-)
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
 
Sorry, Mark, Demon Blogger is being a twit.....it took forever to post my comment, then when it finally posted it, it posted 3 of the same comments. Grrrrrr....! :-)
 
Hi Diane,

Yes, I work at Books-A-Million -- today was my three-week anniversary. My challenge will be to avoid signing my paycheck back over to my employer every two weeks because working in a bookstore means seeing all the books that come in! Go to BAM and get your coffee at Joe Muggs there!

As a follow-up to my post, if anyone is in a bookstore and sees the "Dog Heroes" book, check out the pics on pages 140-141. They dressed up one of the dogs in a rescue worker outfit, including the boots!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?