Monday, June 12, 2006

 

Some Good from Alberto

Alberto, the first named storm of this hurricane season, is heading for the Gulf Coast of Florida. That's a long way from here, and at last report we shouldn't have much trouble here in South Florida.

What we are hoping for is rain, which has been in short supply lately. Much of the state has rainfall totals 50 percent or more below normal, and lately wildfires have been burning in the Everglades, probably the result of lightning and dry conditions. Some mornings you can walk out the door and smell the fires, and last week parts of U.S. 27 were closed. So while we don't want our neighbors to the north getting slammed, we're hoping that Alberto will dump some rain our way to help with the fires -- as long as the winds don't get out of hand. As the saying goes, it's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone so good.

Comments:
I had forgotten you lived down there. I hope things are alright for you. Hopefully, like you said, you'll get the needed rain out of it. Have you lived down there long? Much experience with Hurricanes?
 
I've lived in Florida since 1971. First encounter with a real hurricane was in 1979, with David. (The hurricane, not the blogger.) I've been fortunate to not be in the direct hit zone most of the time, as I lived in Palm Beach County from 1984-2001, putting me north of the worst of Andrew, and south of Irene, Georges, and the other notable storms during that period. And since 2001 I have lived in Broward County (where Ft. Lauderdale is), putting me south of Frances and Jeanne. But we took the worst of Wilma last year. I think I'll make that the topic of my next post.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?