Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Clerks II

The long-awaited sequel is due out in a couple of weeks, and I have mixed feelings about it.

Although I didn't see the original until last year, I was onboard pretty quickly. Having done a few turns in retail, I could definitely relate to the bullshit Dante has to put up with, and I have seen and even worked with more than a couple of Randalls.

However, some of the appeal of the original was the result of Kevin Smith's miniscule budget -- the black-and-white, the need to have the door of the store stuck shut because Smith could only shoot inside the store after it was closed, the casting of Walt Flanagan in four separate roles (because the actors Smith had hired didn't show up) and the complete absence of any actors anybody had heard of. This time around, though, Smith has plenty of budget. The film is shot in color (taking some of the gritty edge away), and the cast includes Rosario Dawson, Jason Lee, and Wanda Sykes. Even Ben Affleck makes a cameo -- I can only hope he plays himself visiting the restaurant where Dante and Randall work, a situation that opens up a number of potentially great situations.

Also, by having the characters work in a restaurant, it starts to look somewhat like last year's "Waiting."

I don't often get to the movies, but I may make an effort to go see this one, at least if I hear good things about it.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?