Thursday, July 20, 2006

 

It's a start....

I had the day off yesterday and today, but it was not what you'd call a peaceful day at home. Tuesday they started replacing the roof on my building, so all day long there is a pounding racket over my head. Yesterday I went out for a few hours at 3 pm, but today I couldn't stand it even that long.

So...I headed off to Books-A-Million. There is a store closer to me than the one I work at, so I went to that one, where I would feel less like I was at work. I took my notebook computer with me, and after an hour or two of browsing, I set up the computer and just started writing the book I've been supposed to write.

People have told me for years that I should write a book, but I've never actually sat down to do so, mostly because I never had a story idea. Some months ago, I had an idea, and I wrote some notes, but that is as far as I ever got. (Not exactly true -- I carry a small notepad around with me everywhere and write down ideas, lines of dialogue, and parts of overheard conversations that I think I might have use for one day.) But today I actually sat down and started writing the actual story.

Will I actually finish it? If I do, will it be any good? What is it about? Answers: Don't know, don't know, and not telling yet. But I did get 2000 words in, which is ahead of the one-day pace for National Novel Writing Month. The goal for NaNoWriMo is 50,000 words, which comes to 1667 words per day in November. I don't kid myself that I will do 2000 words a day for a solid month, but at least I've got a start, and whenever I sit at the computer, I'll know that the manuscript is sitting there waiting for more. We'll see what I can do when I actually have to work.

I'm thinking of taking my computer with me to work when I have to open, and then when I get off I can go sit in the cafe and work a bit, especially since I like waiting for traffic to lighten up before I hit the road. What I would like is to get to the end of the story (not necessarily cleaned up, but at least a finished first draft) in advance of the official NaNoWriMo so I can start another one then.

Advice, anyone?

Comments:
Way cool!! I don't have any ideas or advice, just that I think it's cool and can't wait to see you on the best-seller's list! I know my dad has been writting for some time now but is very private with his. I found it on an old computer he forgot to take it off of. I printed it so at least I have that copy to pass to the kiddos, I would hate for it to be lost if something were to happen to him.
 
Now it will get challenging. With the revised schedule at work, I will be working nights most of the rest of the month. Since I am not what you would call a morning person, I'm going to have to either try to get some writing in in the late morning or early afternoon (risky, because if I get involved I won't want to stop to go to work) or when I get home after midnight.

Not that anyone said it would be easy....
 
I know you'll do great, you can sleep in , in the mornings, at least they are giving you a somewhat set schedule. You'r body can get used to it and adjust. Don't stay up till 1AM when you have to get up at 6AM, it sucks!
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?