Sunday, July 16, 2006

 

Rough Day!

OK, here's how my day went on Saturday. Keep in mind that I've only been working here five weeks!

I get to the bookstore at 8 and I already know that the woman who usually works the cafe on Saturday morning isn't going to be there. So someone else is going to open the cafe, but she doesn't want to spend the day there. Thirty minutes after I get there, she still isn't there. Meanwhile, I notice that my general manager (GM) changed his schedule to work with me, probably because he missed Sunday when he was sick. He already closed the night before, so he didn't get home until well after midnight.

At 8:30, GM shows up with someone I don't know. This is someone who is helping us out from another store, so GM puts this person in the computer so she can operate a register. He also tells me the person who was supposed to open the cafe called out sick the day before, so he starts getting the cafe ready.

While he's doing that, I get a call from the other co-manager (same position as me, but he's been there longer). Co-manager is supposed to close, but he is in ORLANDO, and there is a problem with his car; in fact, they are going to drop his transmission. So he won't make it. The assistant GM is off, and he always works more hours than he ought to be expected to anyway. So...GM is going to help me get things going and then go home and come back to close the store. I closed the store by myself for the first time this week, but since it's Saturday, closing manager has to do payroll, and I haven't done that yet. Did I mention that GM lives 45 minutes away?

Just as he is about to leave, we discover the phone system has gone down. This means that not only can customers not call in, but we can't call out on the day we have to call customers to let them know their orders have come in, and worst of all -- no intercom. So we let the home office know and they will call AT&T. Best we can do is have the cashier use her cell phone to call my cell phone if she needs something when I'm not nearby. (Guy in the cafe doesn't have a cell phone -- hope for the best!)

About 11:30, in walks someone else who is helping us from another store. Now I have to enter him into the computer, which I don't know how to do. Luckily, his assistant GM was able to walk me through it over the phone. My cell phone -- remember the phone being out? So now it has been about four hours since we called in the problem, and still no progress. When I called the help desk, they checked with AT&T, who said someone was at the store working on it. Now, I haven't seen anyone working on the phone, and nobody has checked in. But eventually we got the phone back up.

Since it is Saturday, we have the Yu-Gi-Oh tournament. If you're not familiar with Yu-Gi-Oh, it's a kind of game kids play with trading cards. Since we sell the cards, it helps promote business. But the tournament can sometimes get a bit noisy, and it clutters up the business and computer section of the store. While they are playing, I go into the restroom to find a big pile of empty Yu-Gi-Oh wrappers in the corner. Now, maybe the kids bought them and tossed the extra wrappers there. But...maybe not. Let me be clear that most of the kids don't cause problems. In fact, in the morning, before they started playing, I discovered one of the kids with our broom sweeping up the crumbs he had left on the floor. So I had to say something to the group about letting us know if they see anything we should know about.

Finally my GM came back so I could wrap up the early shift and go home. But...we had a discrepancy on one of the tills, and I had to write up a coaching form for the person. :-(

Now we're not sure if the other co-manager will have his car up and running, so instead of working a midday shift, I'm going to have to open on Sunday, and I might have to open again on Monday, when I was supposed to be off. I'm sure I'll get another day off if that happens, and if not, I can use the OT. But what a day! I can hardly wait to see what awaits me in the morning....

Comments:
*OMG* I am sorry your day was so icky, I sure hope the next few days are better and you don't have to work on your day off. I also understand about the whole kiddo thing, most of them are pretty good, and you hope for the best with them and their behavior. Have a good day and remember, someone from CO is sending good vibes your way!
 
Well, work went much better today, but when I got home...well, that's when it hit the fan. I had arranged a change on my payment schedule for my car insurance which would have meant no payment this month (on July 7), but somehow the change didn't go through. I didn't find this out until tonight when I checked to see how much moolah I have the rest of the week.

As a result, I am now overdrawn by over $200, which includes $85 in overdraft fees. I now have $10 in my wallet, and that has to last me until Friday. But I need the $10 to put gas in the rental car I'm supposed to return tomorrow. (My car is at the body shop for repairs as a result of someone hitting it in the parking lot a few months back.)

I'm not sure how this will play out. If they mail me a check, or have the folks send me a loan, I still wouldn't have that money until probably Wed. or Thurs. I'm hoping I can get the insurance company to somehow credit back the payment plus overdraft fees to my account, but I don't know if there is even a mechanism by which they are able to do that. %$#@!
 
I am so sorry, I know the whole broke thing, that's where me cutting hair at home comes in handy. Cash on the spot!I hate the way car insuranace works and how they make you payso much for something that is so hard to file a claim on! They always want to take your money and never give any back! I am still waiting on an accident from November 2004 when I got slammed on the highway by a semi!
 
Well, here's some good news. The insurance company wired money back into my account -- the amount they charged, plus the overdraft fees and the charge for the wire transfer. It's still processing as of early evening, but the funds are available. And they had done all this before noon today.

The guy who called out on Saturday missed yesterday and today, and nobody has heard from him. I hope nothing bad has happened to him, but he's probably done with us. Since there is nobody immediately ready to step in, this could mean some overtime for me.
 
I am glad to hear about the money being returned to you, amazing what they do electronicly these days. We have a little bank here and when things are direct deposited they are posted twice the first day then corrected the next. I hope you don't get burned out with too much OT!!! Have a good day!! :-)
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?