Monday, February 26, 2007

 

Duck! I mean...Heron!

We had a bit of excitement at work the other day. I was at the counter, along with my general manager and one of the associates, when we heard a loud bang at the front window. When I went to check it out, I found a bird on the sidewalk that had crashed into the window. This isn't that unusual -- occasionally when we arrive in the morning, we will see some small sparrows on the sidewalk that have broken their necks flying into the glass. But this was no sparrow -- it was a great blue heron.

If you're not familiar with herons, the great blue is the largest in the U.S., standing about four feet high. I have seen them only on a few occasions, and until now only in or near water. And I have certainly never seen one fly into a window.

The bird quickly got up and started walking around. He (and we) were lucky he didn't actually go through the window. I don't think he was injured, although I wasn't about to examine a wild bird that size. I'm guessing he was just dazed, because he walked amid the shoppers passing by, and at one point even got up to a run. He didn't fly away right away, which I suppose might have been because he wasn't sure which way to go -- the sidewalk is covered, and there are large concrete pillars along the parking lot side, as well as hedges. But the heron was gone when I went home a little later, so I'm guessing he recovered and flew away having injured nothing more than his dignity.

Labels:


Comments:
I like this story very much.
 
Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?