Monday, April 09, 2007

 

Wild Parrots on PBS

If you've been following along, you know that I have a great pet bird -- a sun conure named Cisco. So it won't surprise you to find out that I take an interest when I see something on television about birds.

Recently I found out that the PBS series Independent Lens will be featuring "The Wild Parrots of Telegraph Hill" in late May. It tells the true story of a bohemian in San Francisco who befriends the wild parrots who populate the Telegraph Hill neighborhood. Most of the birds appear to be cherry-head conures, meaning they are pretty closely related to Cisco.

As with all PBS shows, schedules will vary, but it's at least a seven-week wait, so in the meantime, I may have to read the book.

It also reminds me of the time several years ago when I was riding my bike in Lantana (I lived there at the time) and saw what definitely looked like a pair of amazon parrots flying around and landing on a power line. Amazons are most definitely NOT native to Florida (the only native North American parrot was the Carolina parakeet, which became extinct about a century ago), so these were obviously a couple of escaped pets.

Labels:


Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?